Wednesday 28 March 2012

Ancient Games

Earlier on I have discussed in one of my posts regarding the BBC documentary "Games Britannia" Episode 1, in my lecture (and when I first watched on the BBC iPlayer a few years back). I can say some very interesting information was presented about what games throughout history were like back in the day and that games historians exist, this includes at the British Museum.

One of the parts of Games Britannia which I found very intriguing parts (Episode one) is, in ancient times (about 2600 B.C.) games used to possess other qualities in their meanings to the players. An example of this would be Snakes and Ladders, which is a slimmed down version of a Hindi game about self-knowledge and enlightenment, that all of the players are meant to reach a new spiritual height at the end mark. The players had no intention of winning the game itself, however the teachings and stories in the game which were given to them, at the same time exploring the vast world of the game board. One entertaining example of this is, whilst at the same time Benjamin Woolley played a game with the historian from the British Museum, he (Woolley) became stuck in what was alleged to be heaven (in the game), and was unable to escape from this. Some would consider  this a good thing (I know I would if I was religious), however apparently, in the Hindi religion, even that is some what a lower value than reaching spiritual enlightenment. I admit it was a good story and like the message behind it. I also like how they implemented a story into it and being to change the players mind set (which is a powerful, yet dangerous thing in my opinion).

Another intriguing point, whilst in the lecture and writing this post is, nobody appears to know precisely the rules of the games or their purpose for being. (Apart from an archaeologist will occasionally find a clay board set with some vague instructions on clay). In my opinion I find this bad yet interesting at the same time. The reason being is that we cannot record precisely what happened and what these were used and created for. However this allows for mystery allows those who find it to modify can create their own rules to make it more fun and give it an update. However what if something bad happens, such as down the time line these instructions are found and misconstrued?

Also in my spare time a while back I was researching historical games pieces just to see what was out there and it turns out that ancient people used anything such as bones, shells, sheeps nuckels and much much more. Guess people will stop at nothing just to play games and not become bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment